Wednesday, October 8, 2008

No. 26 - Desire from Gourmet Carousel

Wanted to get a circular and small cake for Yuan as his birthday cake. Since my first attempt at St. Regis failed. I decided to purchase the cake that I originally had in mind.

Ranked 26 on Sunday Times' 50 best cakes... presenting Desire ($6.50, excluding of 7% GST)
"Awaken your desire for dessert with this sinful cake that has rich milk chocolate mousse, chocolate sponge and a vanilla creme brulee filling studded with raspberry pieces.


Apart from the Black Pearl, this is the other signature cake of Gourmet Carousel and their description on the web is "Jivara milk chocolate mousse on chocolate sponge crème brulee of vanilla with raspberries, nougatine of cocoa bean nibits."


I am amused by the tag as our last purchase of Royale Noisette didn't come with this. We were wondering, could it be because this is their signature creation?


The photo of the 1kg version of Desire obtained from their website.


__________________________________________________________________

Fen's comments

Personally, I didn't like it. I thought the chocolate mousse was too milky, can't feel the chocolate. Maybe because I have higher expectation of this one since Royale Noisette was much better and that the latter was not featured on Sunday Times, neither was it termed as Carousel signature.

In addition, I thought the cocoa beans nibits didn't complement nor enhance the taste, but kind of spoils the smooth texture of the mousse. If you are looking for chocolate mousse with vanilla crème brulee, I would strongly recommend Valrhona Chocolate Mousse Cake from Hotel Intercontinental.

__________________________________________________________________

Yuan's Comments

Don't be mislead by the reddish colour of this cake, it barely has the raspberry taste. In fact the outer layer of this cake taste like chocolate fudge jelly. The chocolate mousse beneath is more to the creamy sort and is generally not bad. What I didn't like about this cake is the vanilla cream and nuts. The vanilla cream taste closer to fresh cream while the nuts taste bitter. Overall I think this cake deserve something like 6/10 but I doubt I will give it another shot.
__________________________________________________________________

Gourmet Carousel
Royal Plaza on Scotts, Singapore
25 Scotts Road
Singapore 228220
Tel: 6589 7799
http://dining.royalplaza.com.sg/

0 comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin