Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Crunchy from Brasserie Les Saverus

Nice things always come in a pair, so since Yuan has ordered a chocolate cake for himself. I thought of trying the hazelnut praline equivalence.


Crunchy ($16.00, excluding of 7% GST and 10% service charge) is a combination of Hazelnut biscuit, praline, fresh raspberries and Manjari chocolate mousse. Served with raspberry sorbet...

_____________________________________________________________________

Fen's comments

In terms of the texture of hazelnut praline, it is comparable with the ones mentioned under our favourites. However, the distinct sourish taste from the raspberry sauce kind of puts me off. I thought the bitterness of the chocolate and the sourish tint are just too extremes.

I would say that without the raspberry sauce, it would be comparable to the Sweet Pleasures from BakerZin except that it is a little too steep for a small slice of cake.

Generally, Brasserie Les Saverus' desserts are pretty light and small on the serving. It is not sweet nor rich and thus is just right after a heavy meal but a little too light if you are looking for something to indulge. I guess this is just a different level of class since I would term this place as a fine dining restuarant.
_____________________________________________________________________

Yuan's comments

The first impression I had on the first bite was that this tasted so much like Van Houten chocolate. Next what hit me was that there was this sour raspberry jam over the chocolate mousse. I guess I mentioned this before but I generally do not like the raspberry chocolate combination. The hazelnut praline part is comparable with the other cakes but what I dislike about it is the base. The sponge is just too thick. This dessert is also accompanied by sour sorbet. Having eaten so many hazelnut chocolate mousse, I personally find this a disappointment.

_____________________________________________________________________

Brasserie Les Saverus
The St. Regis Singapore
29 Tanglin Road
Singapore 247 911

Tel: 6506 6888

0 comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin