Friday, August 22, 2008

Tiramisu from Prego... *Sigh*

Yuan and I are on a Tiramisu spree and it has come to a point we are quite sick of it....

Entering the main entrance of Prego leads you to Prego Deli and this is part of the showcase of their cakes and pastries at the entrance of the restaurant. Actually, the cakes looks prettier from the aerial view but I didn't want to behave like a paparazzi.

Anyway, the pastries are at $4+ per slice and some of the whole cakes offered that day were Coffee opera, Mango mouse, New York Cheesecake. In fact, a 500gm of Mango Mousse cost about $22+. That is why I always tell my friends, it is actually better to order cakes from Hotels, the quality is good and usually cheaper than the boutiques.

Tiramisu... The aerial view of the Italian
Similar to my previous Prego entry, I have gotten this picture from street directory website.


As described in the menu, Prego's Tiramisu is served in the form of
"Coffee steeped ladyfinger biscuits layered with mascarpone cheese and bitter cocoa"
_______________________________________________________________
Fen's comments

Based on some of the entries in forums asking for the best Tiramisu in Singapore, Prego will be one of those that were mentioned. Of course, I do come across negative comments but being one of the prestigious hotels, I think I will prefer to give them the benefit of doubt.

Known to be one of the stars of Prego, this Tiramisu kind of disappoint. As some has pointed out, the sponge seems to be too dry which might be, as what some has claimed,
being left in the refrigerator for too long. I don't mind a lower alcohol content but I do feel that one of the factors that make a good Tiramisu is a good well-soaked sponge so as to complement the mascarpone cheese well. In addition, the mascarpone cheese is just too thick and sticky which doesn't tempt me to finish the entire dessert.

I would say, I don't mind dropping Prego for their main course but not for their Tiramisu...
_______________________________________________________________
Yuan's comments
We came to Prego with high expectations of their Tiramisu. However this was a disappointment. As someone pointed out, look at the cocoa powder on the top of the Tiramisu and you will be able to tell the degree of moistness. After having this Tiramisu, i sort of understood what it meant. Thick layer of cocoa powder on top and dry sponge. Further this Tiramisu has no alcohol content but a strong coffee taste. Based on dryness, i think its not as good as some claim.
_______________________________________________________________
Prego Deli
1F, 80 Bras Basah Road, Raffles The Plaza
Singapore 189560
Tel: 6431 6156

Daily - 11:30 am to 10:30 pm

0 comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin