Friday, August 29, 2008

Amande - the almond bakery

Located in the heartland of Toa Payoh Central, we chanced upon this bakery while walking to 秋莲板面. Anyway, that 板面 has been replaced by another player so we decided to go for 长城菜饭. Hehe... The ironic thing is that I refused to alight at Orchard so that I will not be tempted to go to Sun Moulin nor Canelé Pâtisserie Chocolaterie but I still can't resist exploring this bakery which sells macarons!!!

Having one of the cheapest macarons so far at $1.20 per piece, they do have a wide selection of flavours and a box of 6 only costs $5.80. Frankly speaking, apart from the slight coarse or rather uneven shells, it tastes just as good. Maybe I am not that picky with macarons, but if I can't tell the difference between these and the other players, I don't mind playing alittle lesser for these French babies...
We bought the chocolate and hazelnut macarons. It is a pity that they don't have vanilla ones.
_______________________________________________________________

Yuan's comments

Having visited Amande changed my opinion towards maracons. I used to believe that maracons have high cost and hence are very expensive, but I am surprise that Amande can sell maracons at such low prices. In fact if you buy 6 maracons, each will cost less than a dollar. So having seen the price, my first impression was that it must taste like some ordinary cookie. But nevertheless to convince myself. I decided to buy 2 maracons and try. Surprisingly, the taste is not much different from canele's maracons. The only difference is probably the flavours and the appearance. Thus i now have the impression that which bakery you choose for maracons really depend on which flavours you like. I would strongly recomend readers to give Amande a shot.
_______________________________________________________________

Amande, the almond bakery (Closed)
Blk 52
Toa Payoh Lorong 6
#01-50
Singapore 310520
Tel: 6352 2337

They also have another outlet at C.K. Tang, Tangs Market at Kiosk No. 13(a).


12 April 2010: After a comment from the cbox, I called up Amande (9105 8208) and realized both Tangs & Toa Payoh outlets have closed but they are going to set up a store at Carrefour, Plaza Singapura.

0 comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin