Saturday, August 30, 2008

Matcha from Canelé Pâtisserie Chocolaterie

Recommended by Redwine via our blog chat, we dropped by Canelé Pâtisserie Chocolaterie for our Matcha spree...

This cake with a simple name, Matcha is a delicate green tea mousse with chestnut cremeux layered with green tea biscuit and almond crumble.

Another perspective of the cake... Taken from Canelé Pâtisserie Chocolaterie's website

As a whole..._______________________________________________________________

Fen's comments

When I sink my teeth to savour my bite on Matcha, it was a refreshing green tea mousse. In fact, this is my first encounter with Matcha mousse and I have to admit it is really smooth. As seen from the picture, it is make up of a 2 layers of green tea mousse, a green tea cake, chestnut cream and a shortbread like pastry at the bottom. The entire combination was lovely as each layer as a unique characteristic taste on its own.

However, when I attempt to finish this entire cake on my own, it falls into my category of haunting serving, it is so rich that I had some difficulty finishing it. The mousse is just too rich and I would appreciate this creation with a higher proportion of the Matcha cake. In fact, I missed the Matcha Chiffon from Tampopo Deli in which the cream content is not too high.

Oh, between the choice of chestnut and azuki (red bean), I think the latter will be a better bet due to its texture.

I would say it is worthwhile to try but do consider sharing it with others.

_______________________________________________________________

Yuan's comments

When i took my first bite of this cake, it was like wow. Lovely. This was the first time i ate Matcha mousse. Typically, it would be matcha chiffon, or matcha azuki but this is truely unique. However as i took more bites of this cake, i find that too much matcha mousse can be quite gross. Overall i would say it is worth a try but do try this with a friend as eating this whole mousse can be quite taunting.
_______________________________________________________________

Canelé Pâtisserie Chocolaterie (Paragon)
290 Orchard Road,
#B1-25 Paragon,
Singapore 238859
Tel: 6733 8893

Operating hours: 11am to 10pm daily
http://www.canele.com.sg/

2 comments:

Sihan said...

that looks lovely. darn..i should have tried that upon my visit to canele. instead i had the cafe caramel which i liked a whole lot. Then again. i might be biased. must be cravings for caramel taking over. hah.

Fen said...

It does impress but you must be a fan of matcha and chestnut... If not, cafe caramel is actually a better bet. Ultimately, chocolate and caramel fit most occassions :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin