Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Warm Araguani from Food for Thought

Wanted to order their Old Fashioned Red Velvet but they have introduced a desserts specials which includes Warm Araguani ($7.90), Sticky Date Pudding ($6.90), Sticky Chewy Chocolate Brownie ($5.90 without ice-cream and $7.90 with ice-cream) and Old School Banana Split ($5.50 with 2 scoops of ice-cream and $7.50 with 3 scoops of ice-cream).


Since chocolate usually give the maximum satisfaction and that Yuan is put off by the red colouring of the Red Velvet, we have decided to give their warm chocolate cake a shot.
________________________________________________________________

Fen's comments

I dread coming across names of chocolate as I have no clues of the distinct taste of single-estate chocolates. Maybe I should get myself a chocolate tutorial from Sihan. Anyway, a quick google search tells me that Araguani has a 72% cocoa content, thus having an extra bitter taste.

Apparently, Araguani is the result of a combination of two fine cocoa varieties from two plantations with very different soil and climate conditions, or terroirs, namely cocoa from the sea, grown on the Caribbean coast in a temperate climate and from the land, grown in the foothills of the Andes in a hot, humid climate. Wow, I didn't know chocolates can be classified in such a comprehensive manner.

Ah, and I finally realise that Valrhona is actually a French chocolate manufacturer in 1922.

Anyway, I do like the moist and "cushiony" feel of the cake when served warm but I thought the amount of chocolate fudge is too little (but very thick), thus it fails to give the wow-factor. The cake maintains a warm, molten centre for a short period of time. The overall taste is not overly cloying nor sweet but as the fudge is pretty thick, the chocolate fails to ooze out.

It might be better with more filling but slightly watery so that the overall combination won't be so heaty. For $7.90 nett, I would say it is reasonably priced, though not the best but it is worth a shot.

________________________________________________________________

Yuan's comments

I particularly like the dense moist texture of this warm chocolate cake. Further there is no burnt smell which some warm chocolate cake have. But alas, there was barely any chocolate fudge in the center. To me the warm chocolate fudge oozing out the middle is the key to any warm chocolate cake. For this factor alone, I found it a little disappointing.
________________________________________________________________

Food for Thought

420 North Bridge Road
North Bridge Centre
#01-06
Singapore 188727
Tel: 6338 8724

Operating hours -
Monday to Saturday
9am to 11:30am (Breakfast only)
11:30pm to 2:30pm (Lunch Menu)
2:30pm to 5:30pm (Drinks and Desserts only)
5:30pm to 10:30pm (last order for dinner 9pm; after 9pm drinks and dessert only)
Closed on Sundays & Public Holidays
http://www.foodforthought.com.sg/

2 comments:

Sihan said...

What a coincidence! i was just talking about araguani chocolate on my site. It's a wonderful chocolate!!! haha. Glad you enjoyed the ambience of food for thought. It's almost perfect for a rainy sunday afternoon...

Fen said...

Wow, I didn't know you are online too. Yup, I was reading your entry just now and was surprised about their collection of chocolates and I SPOTTED ARAGUANI IN YOUR PHOTOS!!!

Saw your chat with Evan, let me know if you guys are meeting up. I am dying to go to Seventh heaven.

Maybe I should drop by the shop at Beach Road and taste some of these chocolate bars. I like dark chocolate but always thought that the high cocoa content will compromise its texture. Moreover, too much dark chocolate results in a bad throat...

Make sure you drink lots of water when you are munching those chocolates :D

Blog Widget by LinkWithin