Thursday, November 13, 2008

Mango Kakigōri (かき氷) from MOF

My first encounter with MOF was dated last year (can’t really remember the actual date) and I thought this is a good place to chit chat and have a dessert. According to wikipedia, Izakaya (居酒屋) refers to casual and relatively cheap places for after-work drinking. I wouldn’t say this is a pub but I do agree that it is a nice place to relax and enjoy Japanese food and desserts at affordable prices.

There are certain dishes in which Yuan and I adored and surprisingly, it is their sushi. At least, we felt that the sushi are made fresh and that they don’t have the stale and hard rice due to extended hours of refrigeration found in take-away counters. In addition, we thought that they are pretty affordable. The other dish that we will never fail to order is their Unagi Hot Stone Rice, particularly when the hot stone is sufficiently heated to create the crispy burnt rice round the sides of the hot stone. Yeh, I know these are carbon but I find that extremely nice.

Anyway, sweet tooth like us will love the extensive selection of Japanese desserts and their selections include a mix and match of soft-serve ice-cream, red bean, green tea, Japanese dumplings and jelly.

Dropped by for lunch for my mum and sister and we settled with only 1 Mango Kakigori since we have ordered too much main course. Each serving costs $6.50 (excluding 7% GST and 10% service charge) or $3.30 when ordered with a main course and DBS credit cards or MOF membership card entitle 10% discount when used separately and 15% discount when used together. Currently, there is a 30% off for a-la-carte or dessert for student with student pass between 2:30pm to 5pm (if I didn’t recall wrongly) at the Marina Square branch.

Kakigori is a refreshing dessert for a hot day and the shaved ice is fine and not overly sweetened by the syrup. As for the ice-cream, Japanese soft-serve typically tastes different from the conventional MacDonald’s ice-cream cone due to the milk used (i.e. MOS burger’s milkshakes have a similar taste). However, the serving is pretty huge and would be good for sharing.

Actually, Yuan and I have tried almost all their desserts but somehow or rather my camera is always not with me. With their new outlet at Lot1, we often swing by to have some sweet treats after dinner and till now I have never gotten sick of their array of desserts.

Ministry of Food, My Izakaya
Center Stage @ Marina Square
6 Raffles Boulevard #02-128E
Singapore 039594Tel: 6334 2202
http://www.ministryoffood.com.sg/

0 comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin