Sunday, September 7, 2008

绿茶与蕃薯 = Green Tea Sweet Potato

Nectarie le' Dessert Pâtisserie has a new creation and that is sweet potato with green tea ($7.50 nett, no 7% GST nor 10% service charge).


Matcha jelly-like fudge with matcha infused sweet potato kueh... with slight combination of matcha chiffon to ensure a delightful burst of japanese flavour in every bite

Side view of the cake...

_____________________________________________________________

Fen's comments

Green tea, made solely with the leaves of Camellia sinensis, is the only hot tea I will ever drink. Don’t ask me why, maybe I am just picky since I don’t have a habit of drinking hot coffee and tea since young.

Matcha (抹茶, Matcha), on the other hand, is a fine, powdered green tea. For tea lovers, I guessed I am abusing these 2 terms but for simplicity, I just use these 2 terms interchangably.

Anyway, ever since I discovered my liking for green tea beverages (i.e. hot, iced and latte), I have started to pay alittle more attention for by-products of green tea. Having ate matcha chiffon from Tampopo, I am even more curious about finding cakes with Matcha. But as it goes along, I realized it is quite an acquired taste, I do regret at times on spending so much on them. First, they are pretty pricey and second, I always find it so hard to finish it due to the bitter and tea after-taste.

Subsequently, I found that different bakeries actually matchmake matcha with different flavours such as azuki, chestnut and sweet potato. Since I am not a fan of chestnut and sweet potato, I would say I didn’t enjoy this creation that much.

This green tea sweet potato has quite a thick chunk of sweet potato and I personally thought that sweet potato tastes better on its own, such as 摩摩喳喳 (bo bo cha cha), 甜薯汤 (Sweet potato soup) or even just steamed Sweet potato. Because it is processed in a dense manner to complement the cake, it kind of loses it fibrous sweet texture. However, I have to give credits to Nectarie for making such as nice Matcha fudge; it is soft and smooth, in a similar manner as pandan kaya. Lastly, I thought it would be better with thicker Matcha chiffon since the sweet potato portion is generally hard while chiffon is soft.

_____________________________________________________________

Yuan's comments
We have already tried many variations of the matcha cake. (Chiffon, mousse, azuki) I guess this comes to be one of the most unique combinations. Matcha with Sweet Potato. It is basically a layer of matcha fudge (somewhat like jelly), layer of sweet potato and layer of matcha chiffon. It gives the feeling like eating pandan kaya. (layer of pandan fudge and pandan sponge) However i somewhat feel that readers whom dislike sweet potato may not like this combination. As like the matcha mousse of canele, i guess this is one cake that is nice on the first bite, but you may find it a little difficult to finish this on your own.
_____________________________________________________________

Nectarie le' Dessert Pâtisserie
Blk C, The Cannery
#01-05,
River Valley Road Clarke Quay,
Sinagpore 179022
Tel: 6305 6728
http://www.nectarie.sg

Operating hours
12pm to 11pm (Sun to Thu)
12pm to 2am (Fri & Sat)

0 comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin