Tuesday, September 16, 2008

The Chocolate Amer of Canelé Pâtisserie Chocolaterie

The main difference between the chocolate creations of BakerZin and Canelé Pâtisserie Chocolaterie is the chocolate content. Generally, Canelé Pâtisserie Chocolaterie tends to have a very high chocolate content, thereby providing a very rich texture.

Le Royale did impress Yuan, let see how this chocolate baby fare...


Gateaux Chocolat
Dark chocolate cream, flourless chocolate sponge decorated with triple chocolate shards

Looks like there is still lots of improvement for my "pointing and shooting" skills... Whole cake presentation obtained from Canelé Pâtisserie Chocolaterie's website...

The sliced version...

___________________________________________________________________

Fen's comments

---------------------------------Warning, non-cake reviews-----------------------------------

This cake was my dinner just before gym. Yes, that is how unhealthy females can be but anyway, Yuan was amazed I wasn’t hungry. Actually just before I sleep, my stomach was reminding me about the short-changed dinner…

Curious how much calories I have gotten from yesterday’s junk food…
Let me see,
Breakfast was Sausage McMuffin (370g), Fresh milk (165g) and Hashbrowns (140g)…
Lunch was Root Beer Float (170g + 120g) and Carbonara (about 600g?)
Dinner was Gateaux Chocolat…

Hmm… excluding Gateaux Chocolat is already 1565g. Geez, lucky I did gym yesterday…

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, I have been curious about Canelé Pâtisserie Chocolaterie’s version of Chocolate Amer (BakerZin’s description of their Chocolate Amer was a flourless chocolate sponge layered with bitter chocolate mousse) whereas the description of Gateaux Chocolat is dark chocolate cream, flourless chocolate sponge decorated with triple chocolate shards. Fair competition huh?

Out of curiosity, Amer doesn’t mean anything, wonder is it a short-form for America?

I guessed I still prefer BakerZin’s chocolate amer. This is just too rich. The chocolate, no doubt, is very smooth but that’s not cream. It is so rich that I think it is close to a milk chocolate bar. This chocolate cream as you can see from the photos is about 60-70% of the cake and since Le Royale is about 64% dark chocolate content, I won’t be surprised if this is close to 70% chocolate content. I am not kidding you; this is how rich the cake is.

I do like the flourless chocolate cake and would prefer it being thicker; I was practically peeling it off from the cake and enjoying every single bite of the cake. I think I will only like it if only there is more flourless chocolate sponge.

___________________________________________________________________

Yuan's comments
This cake taste pretty much like flourless chocolate cake from Aroma. Generally dry and a little tough. (Probably due to the chocolate content) The mousse portion of this cake is pretty nice but i would prefer it to be slightly more creamy and the sponge a little more wet. I guess it depends on what you look out for in a chocolate cake. If you are like me who prefer wet sponge and creamy mousse, this one definitely fail. But if you are into thick and rough chocolate, you will probably like it.

____________________________________________________________

Canelé Pâtisserie Chocolaterie (Raffles City Shopping Centre )
252 North Bridge Road,
#B1-81/82 Raffles City Shopping Centre,
Singapore 179103

Tel: 6334 7377
Operating hours - 11am to 10pm daily
http://www.canele.com.sg

0 comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin