Saturday, September 13, 2008

A La Pierre Herme's isoform

Bisquit macaroon a la rose, crème au beurre a la rose With lychee and fresh raspberries


In fact, earlier on this week, Yuan and I decided to drop by Carousel to get some macaroons. This is what you called curiosity. Once we spotted a shop or recommendation, our taste buds just transmit a signal our brains and send a new directive to our legs...

Anyway, we tried the Matcha and Lavender macaroons and we realized it was not as sweet as Centre Ps, not as chewy as Centre Ps, more to the crunchy crust which is pretty similar to BakerZin. Bottom line, we prefer Centre Ps's or Canelé Pâtisserie Chocolaterie's macaroons. Took a picture of the Isaphan with the Pistachio and Rose + Raspberry macaroons. Yuan is just amused by the 小巫见大巫 (when a dwarf met a giant) concept.

__________________________________________________________________

Fen's comments

The raspberries are not sour nor sweet but unlike the BakerZin's Isaphan, this has more buttercream and thus has a bigger contrast from the crispy rosy shells. In addition, they are more generous with their lychee, at least they are not minced. I thought it was nice but nevertheless, macaroons cannot be consumed in large quantities due to the extreme sweetness. Nice in small bites. Anyway, each Ispahan costs $6.50+ each.

__________________________________________________________________

Yuan's comments

This is the other Ispahan which I have eaten apart from Bakerzin. I always like to take photos of Ispahan when placed next to the macaroons. It sort of shows how small a macaroon is. Anyway, like what Fen mention, the taste of the Royal Plaza Macarons is sort of similar to the Bakerzin ones. Very crispy crust, not too chewy. The main difference which makes Royal Plaza better is the filling. They are more generous with their lychee which sort of takes away the sourness of the raspberries. Overall I would say it is worth a try.
__________________________________________________________________

Gourmet Carousel
Royal Plaza on Scotts, Singapore
25 Scotts Road
Singapore 228220
Tel: 65897799

http://dining.royalplaza.com.sg/

4 comments:

red fir said...

Hey guess what I saw today? There's a Carousel CNY counter outside Isetan basement selling pineapple ispahan (it's ispahan not isaphan :P) lol. There're new flavors for macarons like pineapple and mandarin I think. You should go check it out haha. :)

Yay I'm the 1st to comment on this post. :P

Fen said...

I saw them setting up the booth on Thursday and believe it or not I actually went to Carousel to pick up 2 macarons for Yuan's taste test...

Hmm... Pineapple and Mandarin, sounds interesting...

Oh, I didn't know there is a typo, thank you for the correction...

Haha... this entry was quite some time ago so Yuan and I were the only readers, muahahaha...

Anonymous said...

I'd recently tried the Gourmet Carousel macarons and they truly are disappointing. Overpriced and lacking in flavour. The pineapple macaron that I had, had no flavour of the fruit whatsoever. Also, the white truffle one smelled like kerosene. I would never patronise them again. The best macarons I had are from ET Artisan Sweets, TWG and Canele.

Fen said...

First of all, this was ate in Sept 2008 so there might be a change of pastry chefs and frankly speaking, over the span of 16 months, Gourmet Carousel is no longer my choice for macarons. In fact, my ex-favourite, Canele disappoints on my recent visits for the huge air pockets in the shells.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin