Monday, September 1, 2008

Macarons from Aroma

There is one reason why I frequent Hotel Intercontinental. Firstly, their pastries and service have impressed me so far. They respond to my mails and enquiries fast and of course, the stuff is good. Lastly, and of course the most deciding factor is that I was gym-ing nearby and to minimize walking and to satisfy my craving... Viola...

Maybe I should start going to the other branches to be fair to the other hotels...

Aroma only have 4 flavours when it comes to macarons, namely chocolate, coffee, strawberry and pistachio. Since I am not really a coffee fan, I only got the remaining 3 flavours. The colours are obvious so no introduction is needed.


They don't have a box specifically for macarons so it was packed it a cute little bag.

In terms of appearance and colour, it doesn't look at attractive as Canelé Pâtisserie Chocolaterie and BakerZin and of course, the flavours are very limited in comparison to the previous three mentioned bakeries (including Amande). However, in terms of texture, it is definitely one of the better lot. It does have a crisy outer shell with a chewy interior and the centre cream is just right even though some are barely visible.

Pistachio is my favourite among the entire lot. It is not too sweet and the cream has the right amount of pistachio taste and fragrance. In this way, the taste of the almond in the shell is still there, thereby making me enjoy every single bite.

Chocolate is pretty rich and creamy. The chocolate ganache is slightly thicker than the filling of the strawberry and pistachio. However, I would prefer the presence of hazelnut to enhance the texture. But the almond is not distinct in the macaron shell due to the stronger chocolate aroma.

Strawberry according to my sister was too sweet to her liking. However, I can't comment much since I didn't eat it but judging from her expression, she is not a macaron fan. My daddy prefers the chocolate one since pistachio was alittle too blend. As for mummy, she felt that it was not worth spending on macarons since they taste like crispy sweet flakes. She would prefer Australian nougats... So I guess macaron is only a hype among those who are in their twenties or early thirties?

Before I forget, their macarons are selling at $1.35 each (excluding of 7% GST). They do accept credit cards with no minimum amount but not NETs.

Aroma, Intercontinental Singapore
80 Middle Road.
Tel: 6825 1058
Open: 11am to 10pm daily

0 comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin