Thursday, December 25, 2008

the Deli's Traditional Christmas Chocolate Log cake

Sent out a couple of email to various hotels to ask about the log cakes offered and have decided on 2 log cakes this year. One of it is the Traditional Christmas Chocolate Log cake from Goodwood Park Hotel for the potluck on 22nd Dec 08 and the other is for boxing day for my sister's birthday.

Most would have thought that it would be the D24 durian log cake and to be frank, I was tempted to order a durian flavoured pastry but durian is not welcoming to some people and thus I thought it would be better to have something neutral, chocolate.

Made of rich chocolate mousse, rum syrup and homemade chocolate sponge, I thought this should be neutral enough and is also one of the more reasonably priced ($53 excluding 7% GST, 15% discount for Citibank and DBS cardholders). I mean, to spent $60-70++ for a 1kg log cake is far too much and for those who has done log cake hunting this year will know what I mean.

Apart from the price, the staff from Goodwood Park Hotel replies promptly to emails and ensure that my order is processed without much fuss. I am happy with their service. Will definitely order their durian puffs once my body gets better.

__________________________________________________________________

Fen's comments

When it comes to appearance, I cannot deny the fact that it is one of the nicest looking "Yule" log (Bûche de Noël). At least, it is not just a rectangular block of cake.

I was alittle disappointed with the texture of the chocolate sponge. It has this crumbliness and loose after-taste which (in my personal opinion) might be due to excessive baking powder. That is also one reason I didn't fancy Pine Garden's Blackforest, it has a similar lack of velvetiness.

Apart from the chocolate sponge, the chocolate mousse is of sufficiently chocolate content but not the smoothest I have. Maybe a chocolate log has to have a certain degree of coarseness to support the entire log design since BakerZin's Chocolat Grand has a rougher chocolate mousse in comparison to the Chocolate Amer.
__________________________________________________________________

Yuan's comments

This cake gives me the "powdery" feel. No doubt you could tell that the chocolate is very rich but as you bite, it kinds of like loosen in your mouth. Maybe as Fen pointed out, a log cake must have a certain coarseness to keep the log intact.
__________________________________________________________________

The Deli
Goodwoood Park Hotel
22 Scotts Road
Singapore 228221
Tel: 6730 1786

1 comments:

red fir said...

Merry Christmas to you fen and Yuan! :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin