Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Opera @ The Line Shop

To me, it is always a joy to get birthday cakes for my family, friends and colleagues and that they enjoyed it. I guess good things are meant to be shared.

Recall I was searching for a good mango cake for my colleague. Well, you can say I fail in that mission. To find something better than Ritz Carlton's mango mousse is not an easy task so I have decided to settle with something I am confident it will be good.

Strawberry Vanilla Streusel Cake is one of the cakes that leave a deep impression when I first started this blog and I am very happy my colleagues love it as much as Ritz Carlton's mango mousse, if not more.

Note that this is no longer available on the shelf so if you are keen, you can drop The Line Shop an email, they can check with the chef if this cake can be done.

The cake looks pretty similar to what was served 2 years ago and a 1kg cost $51.35 nett after tax. Taste-wise, just as good as before. You can see from the photo my colleague has taken, this creation is made up of two layers of vanilla sponge sandwiching lots of strawberries and vanilla cream, topped with cookie crumbles.

And for those who are curious about the operas available at The Line Shop, read on...

Surprisingly, I have eaten more green tea operas than the classic French creation. Anyway, while waiting for my colleague to make payment, both the Opera cake ($6.75+) and the signature 'The Linecake' ($6.75+) caught my attention.

Opera

For a non-opera lover like me, I have gladly finished the entire slice. Although the layers of almond sponge cake ("Joconde" in French) are not soaked in coffee syrup, the overall has a nice balance of coffee buttercream and chocolate. The layers are so distinctive in each bite and the smooth texture of the buttercream with the slight chewy sponge cake makes each mouthful delightful. Perhaps, I prefer cakes that are not soaked so though this may not sound traditional but I feel that it works well for me.

The Line Cake

On the other hand, The Linecake is described to be a traditional modern opera cake layered with tangy orange & bittersweet chocolate. Comparing with the traditional opera, this is distinctively chocolately with a subtle tanginess. Somehow or rather, Yuan prefers this more than the traditional opera. I guess it is just different strokes for different folks.

For your information, here are the list of cakes The Line Shop has,

500grams @ $24+
Chocolate Truffle
Chocolate cake, a luscious dark chocolate sponge base, coated in smooth dark chocolate, topped with raspberries

Traditional Cheesecake
An old time favourite. A cold set mousse cheesecake

Strawberry Pistachio Shortcake
A delicate combination of vanilla sponge layered with pistachio cream, surrounded with strawberries

Maronnier
Hazelnuts with chestnuts cream will awe all nut lovers

Tiramisu
A charlotte of creamy mascarpone mousse and kahlua-soaked sponge nestled in espresso dipped savoiardi biscuits

Mixed Fruit Flan
Colorful cut fruits with delicious vanilla sponge, layered with fresh cream

Black forest
Traditional layered German chocolate sponge cake with brandied cherries, covered in dark chocolate shavings & decorated with a cross motif

Le Jubilee
Almond sponge cake with cherries, topped with chocolate mousse

500grams @ $26+
Durian
Our special fresh durian meat with vanilla sponge. covered with meringue.

Mango Cheesecake
Cheesecake topped with mango slices

500grams @ $18+
Strawberry Tart
Apple Crumble Tart

1.1kg @ $52+
Signature 'The Linecake'
A traditional modern opera cake layered with tangy orange & bittersweet chocolate


The Line Shop
Shangri-La Hotel, Singapore,
22 Orange Grove Road,
Singapore 258350
Tel: 6213 4377
Website

0 comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin