Friday, March 26, 2010

No. 34, Strawberry Shortcake from Rive Gauche

Strawberry Shortcake

To define a good strawberry shortcake is very dependent on what one expects from it. I used to rave about Rive's strawberry shotcake as it is cheap (previously each slice cost $2.80 nett) until the price of each slice shot up to $5 nett.

I have previously tasted this together with the strawberry slice from Yamazaki (or Sun Moulin) and the difference isn't big. In fact, both are similar with 2 layers of butter sponge with fresh cream and strawberries as the filling.

Comparing this with BakerZin's strawberry shortcake, the difference lies in the chantilly cream, while the former uses mascarpone in its chantilly cream giving it a slight sticky feeling, Rive Gauche is lighter in taste and that the "butter" after-taste is not prominent in the sponge.

The more outstanding strawberry shortcakes in my humble opinion would be the ones stated below, for the specific characteristics highlighted
1. Canelé Pâtisserie Chocolaterie which uses génoise sponge for extra texture,
2. Arinco King which uses a chewy and springy sponge and
3. The Patissier which is so finely layered with a sugar dough base.

Rive Gauche
68 Orchard Road
#B2-57, Plaza Singapura
Singapore 238839
Tel: 63419936

Operating hours: 10am to 10pm daily
Website

2 comments:

red fir said...

fen, you should try The Patissier's strawberry shortcake again. What I had that day was totally different from the one featured on your post previously. It's really not nice.

Have you tried Four Leaves'? Looks pretty promising. Hmm... now I think I need to go retry Canelé's. It did look good on the display when I was there recently.

Fen said...

I got a rude shock when I read and saw your photo on The Patissier's strawberry shortcake. I don't expect the uneven edges and cracked cookie base from this shop, considering their price tag.

I only tried The Patissier's twice and both were last year in April and Oct. Not surprisingly if the standard drops after 5 months.

Hmm... it is hard for me to try The Patissier once more since Kki is always screaming for attention. Can't wait to pick up my strawberry tarts in less than 2 hours time :)

Yuan had Four Leaves' strawberry cake for his birthday last year and he was commenting it being not bad.

As for Canele, my first experience with their strawberry shortcake was a disappointment. I ordered a whole cake for my mum's birthday and the cake was rough and soggy, they double-charged me for the cake and damaged the side of the cake without a single apology. However, Canele Group Corporate Communications did a very good job and I have no regrets patronizing them. :)

Subsequently I gave Canele's strawberry shortcake a second chance and there seems to be an improvement, apparently they take feedbacks pretty seriously...

Blog Widget by LinkWithin