Monday, January 24, 2011

CNY favourites: Pineapple Tarts & Kueh Lapis

Freshly Baked by Le Bijoux has been recommended by some of my readers but our visit has been shelved aside due to our busy schedule. Within walking distance from Somerset MRT, this place was bustling with lots of people on a Saturday afternoon and it seems that their breads are very popular among the Caucasians.

IMG_9572A

No sign of their recommended macarons but their pineapple tarts and kueh lapis caught my attention. Priced at $20.80 per tub, the fibrous tangy pineapple filling is definitely different from the usually sweet ones I have tried. Normally I would have paid more attention to buttery base rather than the filling, this time it was the pineapple filling that stands out as it is hand-grated.

Haven't eaten enough pineapple tarts to justify a strong recommendation but this is definitely the better ones I have come across. Well, Le Cafe is sold out for the New Year and I am not sure should I risk a few more inches for Mirana pineapple tarts since the recommendation is made by a reliable source.

IMG_9569A

I have always fancy the oily type of kueh lapis and hence Smiling Orchid has always been my favourite. Freshly Baked's Kueh Lapis on the contrary is not oily but yet the taste of it is not compromised. In fact, Yuan gave it a thumbs up over Smiling Orchid and like the pineapple tarts, I have not tried popular names like Fullerton Hotel (said to be the hotel's signature) and Layer_S (recommended by the 50 yummiest cakes) to jump into conclusion.

Freshly Baked by Le Bijoux
57 Killiney Road
Singapore 239520
Tel: 6735 3298

Operating hours:
8am to 8pm (Mon to Fri)
8am to 6pm (Sat)
8am to 2:30pm (Sun)
Website

0 comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin